Boof is my mom's mom. I was only 9 when she was diagnosed and passed away from colon cancer so my memories with her are few but incredibly special. Boof signed me up for tap and ballet lessons as a kid. The lessons themselves were lost on me - I have 2 left feet and only remember my instructor as being terribly mean. But I also remember looking forward to that special time out with my grandma. We always got dinner together after my lessons: McDonald's or Wendy's. Boof preferred Wendy's but I liked the toys at McDonald's better. (These days, I'm a Wendy's girl. I think that's worth noting.) And we always listened to a Peter, Paul & Mary tape in the car. To this day.... I know every word to the Ten Years Together Album.
Hearing "Stewball," "If I Had a Hammer," and "Puff (the Magic Dragon)" transport me to the passenger seat of Boof's manual transmission station wagon. I can't imagine a better soundtrack for my childhood! I mean, who doesn't love Puff and pine to frolic with him in Honah Lee? Those car ride memories, more than any silly dances lessons, are something I truly treasure. And I will continue to treasure them for the rest of my life. In fact, I attribute my love of folk music (especially Bob Dylan) to the hours I spent jamming with Boof to cool tunes of Peter, Paul, & Mary.
15 years ago... colonoscopies were not recommended as part of your early detection and screening plan. And cancer wasn't at the forefront of anyone's mind. So despite lots of trips to the doctor.... Boof wasn't diagnosed until Stage 4. At that point it wasn't a diagnosis. It was a death sentence. If she was screened at 50 - she'd still be here. Celebrating her own birthdays... and the nearly 100 birthdays that her daughter and grand kids have celebrated since her death. I'll never be able to thank Boof for the impact she has had on my life. But I can run a half marathon in her memory. To fight back against cancer... and reduce my own risk.
Colon cancer is one of the most single preventable cancers there is. If everyone over the age of 50 scheduled their colonoscopy today... over 144,000 lives would be saved immediately. And that is in large part to the work of the American Cancer Society. Help me create a world with more birthdays and less cancer by contributing to my personal fundraising efforts. With a $75 donation I will dedicate my Saturday long run to someone you know who deserves more birthday with a homemade t-shirt and a special blog post. For a $25 donation, I will wear a ribbon featuring their name on a ribbon like those featured below during my race on March 17.



No comments:
Post a Comment