There are only about 1,000 sports websites, athletic companies, and healthy living magazines where you can get a million tips and suggestions for learning to run. They'll tell you what shoes to buy, the correct posture to maintain, how to hydrate, and even how to breathe! But none of that will matter (in my amateur opinion) if you don't know the following....
Kate's Tip for the New Runner!
1. You're awesome. You are trying something new - and it is going to be hard. And I'm proud of you! You're the shit. So keep rockin' out, you Rockstar, you! My wheezy lungs and I salute you.
2. The lingo is fun to use! There is something bad ass about saying, "Oh, that's my long run day..." Why? Because you sound like an athlete! The kind that can outlast anyone... on the track or... in bed. So don't be afraid to say it! Long runs. Hydrating. Intervals. Runner's high. Warm ups and cool downs. Maybe you cross train? What are your thoughts on elevation? Might as well fake it till you make it. Why not? You're brilliant. And now people are wondering what you're like in bed...
3. Have a plan. Don't just put on your shoes and go for it. I mean you can.... but running doesn't happen just once. It happens again and again throughout your week, your month, and maybe someday your life. You will have to make time for it and that's easier said than done. So before you put on the shoes... mark your calendar. Because tomorrow you might not have the same motivation that you do today. But if it is on you list of things to do with the laundry and the grocery shopping... it will be easier to make part of your routine.
4. It's ok to hate the real runners. You know the type. That asshole who speeds past your while you're just trying to enjoy a light jog? He sucks. I can't stand him. Damn him and his perfect physique! Hate him today because soon, you'll be him. And when you zip past some newb, it's going to feel great!
5. Put down the corkscrew. I like to drink too. Especially on the weekend. And for some reason the night before a long run is always a convenient time to drink... But say NO to the booze! We aren't kids anymore. I don't care if you're in bed by 10pm and the run isn't until 3pm the following afternoon... You're going to suffer. You will be slower. You will be tired. You will feel like it is Day 1 alllll over again. And it sucks. Try to schedule the alcohol around the run.
6. Pee before you leave the house. It may sounds obvious but if you've been hydrating or just enjoying a nice glass of juice before your run you may not be thinking about your bladder. Then you get to your trail or track or you are 4 blocks away from home and it hits you. That run is about to feel twice as long. Trust me.
7. Go ahead, eat the ice cream. The best part of running? You are going to burn like a million calories! And this might not be doctor recommended, but I say go ahead and buy that pint of ice cream! Reward yourself for completing that long run! Personally, I recommend Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip. Just make sure you hit the store before the run. When you shop for food afterwards... the grocery store wins. Every time.
8. Track your progress. I am personally a fan of MiCoach by ADDIDAS. It's an app for your phone that will keep track of your scheduled workouts, calories burned, miles achieved, and even your pace while you run. It's an amazing feeling to see measured improvement. And you'll see lots at the beginning! Did I mention that it is free? I love free things. Running is free too. Makes it awesome!
9. Don't quit until after your 10th workout. Because it is going to take at least 10 workouts before it stops completely sucking. The first 5 will feel like punishment. It will probably be run 8 before you recognize those allusive endorphins people are always raving about... But by run 10 you'll hear that little voice inside whispering, "Damn. You're awesome! Nice work." And that voice? Amazing. Completely worth the wait.
10. Don't forget: You. Are. Awesome. You are setting goals, making changes, and taking control of your health! That makes you awesome. And a role model. And I for one... applaud you. Keep it up, champ. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment