Wednesday, November 23, 2011

16/98 The Pros and Cons of Beach Running

Talk about dedication! I may be on vacation but that doesn't mean I've taken a break from running. I'm on it! And I love it! The beach makes for excellent running - assuming you're prepared. Here is all you need to know for running with the waves....

Pro: Asthma? What asthma? I have the lungs of a young 20 something.... and it's FABULOUS! The air is flowing and all of a sudden I get to challenge and push the rest of my body which has been waiting dormant for the opportunity to take a little abuse. (And let me tell you, I've learned there are more muscles in your calve than meet the eye!)

Con: Successful beach running means holding out for the perfect sand consistency. Dry soft sand might be perfect for digging a hole to China but it is terrible for moving anywhere quickly.You won't make it more than 10 feet. Instead - you have to move closer to the water where the sand is damp and packed. Careful though! Get your feet went and your shoes will turn into squishy ankle weights! Your best bet is to plan your run during low tide, which more often then not coincides with sunset.

Pro: Two words: Eye Candy. Lots of hotties like to run at the beach. Sure there is the occasional gramps rocking a banana hammock, but I promise that image won't last nearly as long as the tight end from Washington State. My recommendation? Slow down when approaching from behind to preserve the view, this also ensures that when you're ready to breeze past your topless friend, you do it like a champ.


Con: How do you feel about obstacle courses? Because along with the hotties are the kids, sand castles, flocks of birds, and family portraits in the making. This is especially true if you plan your run for sunset. I've ruined several Kodak moments.

Pro: Speaking of sunset... it's beautiful. Every night. Stunning! And as it sets the air cools and you have ring side seats to the whole experience. And if you're really lucky you can pass yourself with the dolphins. They make fantastic workout buddies!


Con: Between the wine, the sun, the salt, the wine, the chlorine, and the wine.... it's a chore to stay hydrated and energized. It might require that you reserve the drinking for one portion of the day only. Meaning start with dinner. Not breakfast. It's a bummer... I know.


But... perhaps the GREATEST Pro.... is this ultimate cool down with your running buddy:



No comments:

Post a Comment