A wise friend once told me that air is like sex. You never really appreciate it until you're not getting any. And I think she might be on to something with this analogy... (Sorry, Mom!)
I have asthma. And the colder it gets, the less I breathe.
Try this: Sit back, relax. Really, no one is watching.. go ahead. Now take a deep breath. Did you feel your whole torso fill and expand? Isn't it an awesome feeling?
Now imagine the air gets trapped and stuck in a baseball sized pocket in the upper most part of your chest. And pretend someone just punched that little baseball pocket really hard. Ouch, right? Yeah, it's way less awesome. The faster your pace: the more you need the air and the tighter and smaller your chest seems.
I've been telling myself that with some practice my lungs will stop being so damn attention seeking, recognize the greater goal at hand, and get over themselves. But I'm not sure my lungs and I are on the same page. As the weather begins to move from Fall to Winter... a trip to the doc may be in my future. I'm giving it one more week.
On a happier note: I had a running buddy tonight! My little lazy Aussie toughed it out for the whole 30min run and managed to avoid the pet police. (Excuse the demon eyes!)
She may have ended up more tuckered than I was by the end of the evening as well... poor pup!
She made a fabulous running buddy! And I'm looking forward to many more Girls' Runs Out. :-)
Tomorrow is long run day! And I have something special planned that gets to the heart of DetermiNATION and my why I'm running. Here's a preview:
Wish me luck! And get excited!




No comments:
Post a Comment