Oh wait... that is why I'm here. Hmmm....
Well I got a refill on my rescue inhaler! And permission to use it more often. But perhaps most importantly: I learned to walk like a penguin.
"What?" You ask, "A penguin? This girl is crazy." It's possible. I am running a half marathon after all.
But as it turns out, walking like a penguin helps stretch the muscles behind your shin bones to alleviate shin splint pain. I never had shin splints growing up. In fact, I assumed the ladies on my field hockey team who had shin splints were just looking for a way out of the timed 2 mile UD run. Because running in circles around the field was easier. Turns out....Shin splints are real. And they hurt like a.... train. (My mom reads this blog...)
Dear Ladies on my Field Hockey Team,
I'm sorry for thinking you were looking for a way out of the 2 mile times UD run. You weren't. You were in pain. And I was judgmental. Much Love. Even more Apologies.
Sincerely,
Kate
2003 MVP
So I started to feel the pain during Wednesday's run. And it lingered throughout my Thursday despite a day off from running. I decided to kill two birds with one stone today and ask the Doc for some advice. He didn't know much. BUT - his Eye Candy Intern ran Cross Country in high school and taught me to walk like a penguin.
Step One:
Walk 20-30 yards on your toes... pointing them inside.
![]() |
| That's a Mya blur in the background! |
Step Two:
Walk 20-30 yards on your toes... pointed out
![]() |
| Like a ballerina! |
Step Three:
Walk 20-30 yards on your heels... toes pointed out like a Penguin.
![]() |
| Photo Credits: Shy Jamison |
The movement stretches the muscles in question and builds strength at the same time. I have to tell you... I think this is a great tip! Almost as great as my self tip: invest in a moist heating pad. Between the penguin walk around the track, the double inhaler dose, and the post run heating pad... I feel great! And the proof is in the time.
Check out my comparison:
Workout 4 Workout 8
Mile 1: 8:14 Mile 1: 8:34
Mile 2: 8:22 Mile 2: 7:58
Mile 3: 8:49 Mile 3: 8:15
Total for 3 miles: 25:25 Total for 3 miles: 24:47
BAM! And... yes. I broke 8 mins on a mile. Hello! The plan is to do it again tomorrow.... during the long run. Cause I'm a rock star in the making! Well... sorta. My fastest lifetime mileis 5:57 and I'm still pretty far from that. But getting closer every day!
Now remember... I'm running for me. But also for the American Cancer Society.
So this might be a good time to congratulate me with a donation. Click here to donate!!
Please? I'm serious.



No comments:
Post a Comment