We ran up a mountain.
Yes. Up a mountain. Up an ENTIRE MOUNTAIN. 2 Miles - Straight up. Look at the elevation profile from our run:
I can assure you the run down is the only thing that saved my average pace. Because this girl? Did some walking up that beast. I think we all did! Oh, wait. Not all of us. Meet Ruth! She's a damn animal! She powered up this mountain like it was no one's business and didn't rest until she hit the star. Like a beast.
But each of these women is amazing in their own right. Lydia just had a freaking baby and then took the whole family to run an Ultra - she, her hubby, the newborn, and their toddler all crossed the finish line together. Beth's husband travels throughout the week and she still finds time to care for her kids, hit the gym, and is bring Girls on the Run to the Roanoke Valley - you know, in her copious spare time!
Did I mention they're all mom's? Well... except me! (Hmm.. perhaps I should start bringing the pups to these play dates? They act like kids. And they like kids. Chasing kids that is...gently!) But every Thursday we meet at someone's house and take shifts watching the kids and running. The kids think they are just on a play date. But they are also learning team work, nutrition, taking care of oneself, and the value of friendship from their moms (all of them!). It's amazing. Almost enough to make me want a kid!
I said ALMOST!! Let's not get carried away. I'm far too selfish for that nonsense...
Anyway, we ran up a mountain tonight.
To me, 3 miles translates to 20-30 minutes of running. And it is hard to picture in your head what exactly that looks like... so to help me out, I took some pictures.
The orange arrow indicates about where we started our journey... The Star is where we ended up. It was astonishing to look down from the mountain top and see exactly how far we had come. It was even more amazing when we made it back down and pushed a few miles away from the mountain! But... I forgot to get that picture. Sorry!
![]() |
| Third, Second, and First to the top! Ruth is an animal... |
![]() |
| The whole group made it in one piece! |
It was a great run. It was painful, challenging, a bear on my toe... and I am already anxious for the day I can make this run without stopping and take the whole 2 miles up without a breather.... just like crazy Ruth! But for today? I'm putting my feet up somewhere soft...
Oh and for the record? We call ourselves the Rockstar Runners. Feel free to address us formally. :-)
OHHH!! I almost forgot... my Half is right around the corner... and there is still time to make a donation! Please help me hit my goal!





This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWe've been to that star! Only we drove our car.
ReplyDeleteGreat job lady! That half will be a walk in the park:)