Tuesday, January 24, 2012

29/98 - Running in Raleigh!

So I've run in Roanoke... and on the Siesta Key beaches... and now: Raleigh, NC!

This weekend I took a getaway to the shallow south of NC and refused once again to let anything get in the way of my training. (I'm so hardcore these days!) Following the advice of a local..  I went for a run at Lake Johnson. It was beautiful! Despite a gloomy day, the paved route around the lake took my through the woods, over a bridge, and I never lost sight of the water.



 I encountered kids, fellow runners, dogs (including an Aussie puppy!!) and even some bikers. It was encouraging to be surrounded by all the other active people and the new terrain included a couple of hills which was a new challenge for this track addict. The loop was about 3.5 miles and it is really engaging to check out the new scenery. Not know what to expect around the next bend keeps you thinking about every thing other than the wheezy, gaspy sounds coming from your throat.


What I am coming to appreciate about running that it is something I can do anywhere. I can take something which is really... kind of repetitive and dull... and morph it into an adventure by changing the scenery up a bit.  I am anticipating that my race won't be the end of my running nor the end of my blog. Travel runner here I come! The list of trails and paths in this world is long and that means I have lots of adventures to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment