My morning started at 5am. And my race started and ended with tears. I was standing in my corral waiting for my turn to start my 13.1 miles trek and I thought to myself, "This is the coolest thing I have ever done. I never dreamed it would feel this amazing. And I never would have imagined myself anywhere near here 7 months ago. I have evolved. And... it's about time."
So I teared up. I was overcome with a sense of accomplishment and confidence in myself that is indescribable. And it lasted for the entire first 2 miles.
That first mile? It flew by! I thought, "that's a mile? this race will be over in no time..."
Ha! What a joke! It wasn't over quickly...
The first 5 miles felt great. My stride was easy, the weather was perfect, the adrenaline was flooding my veins... I was digging the water stations and keeping a strong, solid pace. I was event taking time to enjoy the scenery and cheering spectators! Gave some four year old kid a high five as I breezed by...
Mile 8 hit hard. I got tired, real tired. And the tired struck around for the rest of the race. But like any real endurance runner... I snacked on some shot blox, threw back some water, and never stopped.
But I kept going.
Mile 12 went a little bit like this, "This is the stupidest idea I have ever had. What kind of idiot runs 13.1 miles for fun? And those marathoners? OUT OF THEIR DAMN MINDS! They are fucking crazy. This is my first and last Half. Forget about it. I'm sticking to the 5 and 10K races. I'd walk... but it would take me longer to finish. So... I better keep running."
Then I saw a clock. I hit mile 13 and the gun time read: 01:59:14
What? You mean... depending on my chip time... I might hit my goal?
I don't know where the strength came form... but it came. And I rocked that last 1.1 mile to the very best of my very little ability. And crossing that finish line? Best. Feeling. Ever. Or it would have been, but I had to wait for the feeling to return to my body.
And the best part? I PR'd with a time of 02:01:25.
No comments:
Post a Comment